City2Surf

Impossible to miss a Canberran in City2Surf. Think I found most of you in the big smoke today. My count was over 20. The atmosphere as good as ever, organisation keeps getting better, great great race and fun event. The first rainy race I can remember since 1986.
The plan today to get out there early with a good bunch, sit in and get a fast time. My start was exceptional. Away quick, clear air, found the good runners (Bateman included in a pack of 20) and tried to sit in. By the time I got to the tunnel I was struggling with the pace. By 2km I had a massive stitch from running too fast at the start and started slipping back through the field. Trengrove and Emily B both ran past at Double Bay, my age group winner? (Meagher) at Rose Bay. I couldn't hang on to anyone giving up 400-500m. Clearly not able to handle that pace on this day.
At the top of Heartbreak it was a new story. Rolled my singlet into two to get the wet fabric off my tummy...the stitch went away.
Steadily I moved back through the field, Bateman started to come back, Meagher too. Pulled back many of the runners I was with in Rose Bay but not the ones in Double Bay or before that...unless they were with the paramedics (I saw two).
Caught and passed Bateman with a mile to go, went after Meagher but couldn't quite get there.
Almost all my friends from Canberra did a PB today (congratulations, results later). I did not. Another City2Surf tackled, back again next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024