ACT Masters Track : Pennington 800m Handicap ; 3000m ; Other Events

Very windy all night, reverse of normal, a head wind in the home straight. It was cool to warm.

I turned up very early to satisfy myself I was OK to race. 20 minute jog, 5 x 100m (21,17,16,15,15), 4 x 200m (33,33,33,32.1), 800m warm down. I got better with each stride, the achilles a little tight after set.

3000m: Steve had a strong run with the wind. Stuey was always 20-30m down but never threatened. Steve 10:12 roughly.I skipped the 3000m.

I did a second and third warm up, some strides again and waited for the Pennington 800m handicap. I had already won the 1500m late last year, the 3000m in a fortnight. 800m has sometimes been a stumbling block.

Pennington 800m: Kathy 30 seconds head start, I started with a bunch of five including Colin, Leanne 1 second in front, Steve 4 seconds back.

Colin decided he wanted to lead, first 250m tail wind, next 150m into block headwind. I just sat there as he did all the work gathering in the field. I knew Steve would be coming so I pounced with 400m to go and ran hard and just in control until the finish. I knew someone was close into the wind in home straight, thought it was Colin coming back but Steve instead. Another great run from him and lots of fun. Kathy was a little back after running a great first lap. With two wins and my best and final event to come I can't be beaten in the series, have that huge pot for another year. Kathy will have to beat Colin in the 3000m to finish 2nd in series.

I did another warm down, then a jog in the 5 lap handicap, as did Helen. The achilles is sore but should be better by weekend.

Keith is tired, did a tempo today. We will see him next weekend and train with us on Saturday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024