Beechworth Fun Run 10km

Weather sunny, very warm, no wind. The course truly brutal with a 2km slalom like bitumen descent to gorge below, climb 2km back up on bitumen and gravel, undulating and tricky 1.5km on golf course late in the race, remainder road.

I missed the start by 10 seconds as the race started 5 minutes early. By 1km I had caught up, by 2km a was alone making a fast descent into the gorge (2:59 split), was very quick out of the gorge and up, I lost my rhythm when the surface changed to gravel and was eventually caught and passed near the summit at 4km. I was gapped to the highway crossing and under pressure. Leader was fortunate to cross before a land cruiser and caravan passed, I gave away 20 seconds or so, race over if it was not already. My last 3km split was 10:03, still moving strongly at the end. No idea overall time (34mins?) as the finish clock was not working, I started my watch at the 2km marker.

All on slightly different courses, I was 4th in 1982 as 20 year old, 4th in 2008 as 46 year old, 2nd in 2016 as 54 year old...something not right there.

A great weekend away, only negative turned into a positive. Minnie left her sleeping sack at home, I gave up mine. Cold overnight we bailed at 5am and headed straight for the bakery open a 6am, spent 2 hours there pre-race warming and waking up with coffee and pies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024