World Masters Athletics Championships Perth 2016 : 5 Months to go

Five months to go until my first event in World Masters Athletics Championships Perth. There are always ups and downs in any training cycle. I'm feeling very positive about where I'm at, still more work to do. I'd have to say I'm in better shape now than I have been since 2012. Better shape than in Lyon or Adelaide a month ago even. Only thing missing is leg speed which can be put back when it's time according to the periodisation I've scheduled. Average volume for May with be 125km+/week, in line with May 2015. The next two months will be similar.

A reminder and update:

Working backwards from Perth WMA in October November: The schedule for me there 8000m XC, two days rest, 5000m, two days rest, 10000m, a few days rest Half Marathon.

I'll be using the current form I have to build into a preparatory period that lasts another two-three months long, broken up by the usual July holiday in France and concludes with City2Surf 14km road race in Sydney on August 14. It will include two races a month of 10km or more (except July) and a simple training structure. Volume of training will continue to be average of 110km per month or more

Training Overview - Preparatory Period June-August

Training Goal: Aim to fit in no more than 3 of the sessions below each week

Long step down intervals, long recovery: 2000m-400m with 4 minutes recovery at race pace on track or cross country surface

Long intervals at 5000m pace: 2-5 x 800m efforts at 2:32 or better with 3 minutes recovery on track or cross country surface 4-7 x 3 minute intervals with 60 seconds jog recovery.

Strength Hills: 2-4 hill loops of 4 minutes (1.1km) on slight to moderate incline, some faster sections jog/walk back recovery. I will be in France / Switzerland in July, will include climbs up some big mountains at altitude. More on that soon.

Race on road or cross country or time trial

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024