Australian Masters Athletics Championships 10000m M55 1st 34:12, 2nd overall

First race done of four on consecutive days. Today the goal was the Australian Masters Athletics Championship M55 record of 34:19 held by 99yo John Gilmour (which has stood for 42 years) plus my ACT record of M55 record of 34:13. I did both just.

I brought four sets of racing shoes here and chose the pair I expect to be using in Malaga in the road 10000m and half marathon races, also to save my achilles from niggles. Although a little soft for this track surface it was only an issue when I asked for faster than 3:20/km which wasn't often. The last 2 lap kick and when I was trying to establish a gap in laps 3-7. Otherwise I was smooth and strong out there coming in 2nd, 8 seconds back from M40 Ross Langford.

Tomorrow is 1500m day. If my legs are recovered enough from the 10000m today I might be able to make it a close contest.

Comments

Unknown said…
Such an amazing achievement to break such a longstanding record and all the more special to have the previous record holder present you with the medal. JennieK
Thanks Jen, I will try again tomorrow in the 5000m
Unknown said…
John is pretty impressed - he remembers John Gilmour and says he was 'Famous' for his running
John is crazy famous here. Has his own book and a joy to meet.
Ewen said…
Congratulations Bruce. Enjoying the posts. Good luck for the rest of the meet.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024