Parkrun Gungahlin 5km 17:20 1st

Warm to hot with some wind this morning at Parkrun. Not pleasant for running. I was trialing new shoes (Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% Flynit). To get some data I wore a Garmin with intervals set to 400m.

Firstly the shoes felt great with no pain in my feet. As a first run in them things are positive for events 10km and over. For Parkrun I have quicker shoes that have caused me pain for the last few years.

400m Splits (Goal pace was 80 seconds or 3:20/km): 78,80,81,84(hill),79,80,80,84 (dead turn),84,81,85(hill),84,54(284m). I held the pace for 3km, like last week a fade in the final 2km although highest point of the course is around 800m to go. 17:20 is 40-50 seconds slower than I was doing on the same course this time last year (in faster shoes but similar conditions). Takeaway is I need more long intervals sessions at 3:10-3:20/km plus some shorter sessions to get back there again. It will take around 3-4 weeks given I already have a big base. See diary excerpt below for details on how.

I will be running on the same Parkrun course come New Years day. I will probably revert to a faster pair of shoes for that run to get some more stats on the shoes.

Both Keith and Steve are getting back into it again. Very difficult in this weather with extreme heat. All sessions need to start at 5am and even then it's 20 degrees. Expected in the mid-30s-40 degrees for a week or so.

Comments

Ewen said…
Curious about the shoes after seeing them being worn at Zatopek and Steigen and very common at the front of marathons. Impossible to get in US13 and have heard they're on the narrow/tight side. The $350 puts me off too!

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024