Indoor Bicycle Training for Power: Process Begins

Running power hills had been my nemesis since I destroyed my left ankle (peroneal retinaculum) by stepping back into a pothole in late 2010. After a few start stop attempts at healing the emotional scars from that injury by running power hills I started the process of improving my running power again in May this year. I've managed dozens of power hill sessions since then without any concerns and have noticed some improvement in power already. There's a long way to go to get back to where I was in 2009-2010 and it's something I need to work on.

I always had planned to start using cycling as another method of increasing running power. Today I started putting indoor cycle training for power into the weekly program. As a cyclist during my non-running years 2001-2007 I used a variety of power specific cycling sessions that enabled me to sprint, time trial and climb better. There may be better ways but I'll be using the sessions I feel comfortable with. I won't do any outdoor cycling.

The Sessions
[Gears on Lemond Revolution harder to push. Gearing listed below as per flat road, no wind and me in good cycling shape which I am not]

Neural session: In easy gear (53/21-19) 5 x 15 seconds spinning at cadence 120rpm with two minutes easy spinning in between.
Short Lactate Intervals Session: Largest gear I am able to cycle at cadence >100rpm (53/17-16,15?) 5 x 30-60 seconds, 60 seconds easy spinning recovery
Long Maximum Effort Session with Sprint Finish: Clicking through gears (53/17,16,15?) 5 x 3 minute intervals with 15 second sprint finish in gear 53/15,14?, 4 minutes easy spinning recovery
Time Trial Effort: In gear 53/17-16? maximum effort with cadence >100 rpm, duration starting at 5 minutes, increasing to 15 minutes.

Neural session will be standard warm up, warm down session which will be followed by one of the latter three sessions. I'll use a simple cycle computer to measure cadence, speed and distance. Indoor trainer used will be the Lemond Revolution.

As for now I'll only do one cycling power session per week in addition to normal running sessions. I'll start with an easy set, build up from there. I'll evaluate as I go.

Today's set: Neural session + 2 x 1 minute, 1 minute spinning recovery + Neural session. This was followed with normal running.

Set 2: 4.5km warm up (jog to track), 4 x 100m (18,17,16,15), 4 x 600m (target 1:54, track saturated by thunderstorm prior) with 200m jog recovery (1:52, 1:51, 1:52, 1:51), 5.5km warm down. Still have head cold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024