1984 Part 1 of 4 : A Running Life in Canberra

I'm not sure why I spent the most of 1984 in Canberra where I live now but I'm sure it had much to do with 'Deek'. On the other side of the world Seb Coe, Steve Ovett and others had been doing their thing. Virtually everything about running had an influence on me but there's no way my 22 year old head could rationalise any of it.

When I arrived in Canberra I was poor, had just quit my first occupation and owned a place of my own on the outskirts of town. I fueled on pasta and mushroom soup.

My source is the Canberra Times newspaper archives. I'll explore why where I live now is a special place. I might explore what could have been and it's not about me.

January to March 1984.

Comments

David said…
Nice shoes (and form), Paul Arthur behind?
Yes updated Tiger/Asics G9 version I picked up in Tokyo, Paul went on to better things later on. Photo from same period in Parramatta Park.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024

Parkrun Panboola Wetlands 3rd in 18:06 : Steve 4 x 500m