Pre-Dawn Beach Run 18km ; Nocturnal Above Water Humpback Whale Calls, Breaching

Perfect weather for running 18km on the beach, mostly in the dark. This morning I was treated to a new experience for me, whales calling to each other above water (sounds like an elephant, more than one type of call). The calls lasted around 15 minutes as they made their way through the waters between Surf Beach and Barunguba Island. Being pitch black I couldn't see the whales. I did record some calls on my smart phone and posted below. I had to get above the sound of the crashing waves to hear and record the whale calls which were reflected back from the surf clubhouse on a very still night. Late morning the whales put on another show at Surf Beach, this time breaching not far off shore while I sipped a coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024