Half Marathon on Yarra Boulevard : The story

Perfect conditions for the start of the race, the wind picking up in the last 6km. The goal to have 3 APS 50+ lads finish in front of Keilor 50+ lads on cumulative placings to keep the Winter AthsVic premiership hopes alive for another fortnight.

Keith the key man today. We warmed up together and discussed what time he would do, when to take the gel and how it would feel in the last 7km. Keith gave his all and ran exactly the time we discussed before the race. In doing so we won the day and now trail Keilor going into the final race of the season, the tan relays. Andrew Edwards finished only one place behind Michael McIntyre the first runner from Keilor...I think we can do it again.

Of me: Well to find myself in a pack with Liam Adams wasn't in the plan. Liam I believe caught a chest infection after winning City2Surf (just like me!). The bunch was 15 strong, skylarking antics including running backwards, banter and so on...a comedy. Surprisingly I felt really comfortable running at sub-70 pace but things were about to change. I stayed there until the pace ramped up after 8km which blew the bunch apart. Trying to stay with the bunch sent me backwards through the field until I got control of my lactate levels again. I slipped onto John Meagher and Steve Isbel for quite a way, losing 40 & 20 seconds on them over the last 5km...a real struggle to get to the finish line.

My last three half marathons have all been within 20 seconds of each other. The Cadbury Half the quickest, this mornings effort taking a few seconds off that I did in Canberra earlier in the year. I'm very confident of knocking a couple of minutes off the time today...maybe in April or more likely July next year.

All up today 34km including warm up and warm down. Fitter now that before the start of the race I think.

Lovely meeting the team mates today. Thanks for inviting me.

M45-49
1. John Meagher 72:40
2. James Atkinson 75:53
M50-54
1. Me 73:20
2. Michael Bialczac 77:13
4. Michael McIntyre 79:08
5. Andrew Edwards 79:46
9. Keith Law 85:18

Comments

GRIFFIN said…
Great effort Sbx - Left another message yesterday, but not sure what happened. Great run by all the boys especially Keith and of course you too !

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024