Tan Relays : The Story

A successful day for my new club. APS United won both the M40+ and M50+ Tan Relays.

M50+: At stake was the 2012 Athletics Victoria XCR12 Winter Premiership and the prestigious three person Tan Relays prize. The were three clubs in contention for the daily prize (Traralgon Harriers, Keilor St Bernards and APS), latter two for the premiership. Traralgon and Keilor made their running order fastest to slowest. APS the reverse order with me last. The result wouldn't be known until the final leg.

Ian Cornthwaite (Traralgon) posted a 13:02 first leg to lead by 30 seconds to Keilor (Gerard Brown) and another 30 seconds or so back to APS runner Keith Law (my friend) who just held off teammate Mark Purvis running in the APS'2' team.
By the finish of the 2nd leg Traralgon and Keilor (thru Michael McIntyre) were neck and neck. I waited for Andrew Edwards to arrive (seemed like forever but it was only 42 seconds).
I made the catch of Traralgon at the 1km point, half way up the Anderson Street hill. I looked and looked for Keilor (Peter Gaffney) up ahead but didn't spot him until 1.5km in, made the catch before 2km, about 200m before we began the descent. I paused for 2 seconds on his shoulder, moved past at pace and then slipped back into maximum threshold until the end. A comfortable victory but I was very worried for a while that it might come down to a kick at the end. Both teams broke the old race record. APS won the winter premiership.

Of me: Another fun Saturday. Athletics Victoria sure know how to do things well. Little wonder there are so many great athletes down there. The club system is still thriving. 12:34 my split. Absolutely not a quick time but the effort was genuine. Long Sunday run tmoz before slipping into some faster training for the track.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024