Cycling for Power development

I have rarely had to go to cross training for injury rehabilitation over the last 8 years but this may be an opportune moment with no racing scheduled until August.

A few months ago I purchased a Lemond Revolution trainer when I broke my ribs. I only had to use it for a few days so didn't get into a program as such. it is a great machine for training as the harder the strokes, the harder the resistance.

This is the program I used when I was a competitive cyclist to good effect, for both myself and Minnie. I know it works.

Sessions:

For neural training: In the saddle a set of 6-10 × 15 seconds at cadence 120rpm in easy gear (39/19-17 for me). 2-5 minutes rolling recovery.

For maximum power: 1km easy, 700m at maximum threshold (53/17), then out of saddle clicking through gears (16, 15, 14) at full gas for 300m. Repeat 4-8 times with 2000m rolling recovery.

For speed / power endurance: 6-8 × 2000m on hotdog circuit at cadence 100+rpm. Out of saddle at start clicking through gears until maximum sustainable (53/16), in saddle driving, at 1km click up gears, out of saddle after hairpin clicking down gears, drive to finish. 2000m recovery between efforts to flush lactate.

For strength endurance: 1 × maximum effort time trial in big ring up climb of over 7% average gradient. Time roughly 10 minutes.

For speed endurance: Time trial at maximum threshold of 20-50 minutes on slightly undulating circuit (not steep enough to rest on downs).53/19-15

Just those sessions alone allowed me to time trial at around 40km and Minnie to give some well performed girls a scare or two.

While the sessions won't make the running much (if any) quicker, they are a good way to keep in shape when running is not happening for some reason. The sessions are very similar to those we do for running.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024