Achilles : Sciatica : Hindsight

I conducted an experiment on my sciatica problem during runs this week. All my long runs through the Arboretum and back (75 minutes) started with a jog and manipulation, neural stretching, deep tissue massage of individual key trigger points in my left leg at approx 5 minute intervals into the run and roughly in the same order. All of the manipulations etc relieved the pain around my achilles and elsewhere. Deep tissue massage on many of the muscles in my hamstring group (last) provided relief for the duration of all the runs to the end. On Wednesday before track I spent an hour or so mostly working on the hamstring group and followed it up over the last couple of days. Most if not all the pain has gone away. Maybe just a tingle remains.

Going back now to where this trouble first revealed itself...after the 10000m at Australian Masters Athletics Championships, March 2014. Result 1st 33:28 in windy conditions. I was a breath away from pulling out of the 5000m two days later as I couldn't get it warmed up. Only a change of shoes, from spikes to training flats on the left foot got me to the start line with seconds to spare. Result: I followed Rob and Steve the entire race, even more windy than the previous day 16:22 2nd in race to Rob M45, 1st M50. Next day with both feet in training shoes I had a great race in the 8km XC, my best of the championships I think for 2nd overall to M35 NT, 1st M50, almost no pain. Move forward three days at track, not warmed up properly and wearing spikes again the achilles pain reappears.

Onto Marathon de Paris. I trained with pain leading up to the event. Two days before the event I went for a jog in the park from the hotel. The jog lasted 15 minutes and with much pain. On race day I spent 60 minutes in the start coop, sitting on the road while massaging every muscle in my left and right legs. I was so surprised with no pain at 1km, ran well through 13km until cramps in the hamstrings began and continued to the very end. I know I dehydrated myself (and Minnie) the night before with a saline isotonic drink instead of the usual gatorade or water but the problem I suspect was already in my hamstring from a month before.

On return back to Australia I could barely walk let alone run. The left hamstring was in knots. After returning a hire car I faced a run home which I couldn't do without stretching the hamstring on a post every 100 metres. I eased my way back into running and started the cycle of good leg, bad leg. Good for Gold Coast Half Marathon, bad for City2Surf. Good for Canberra Times Fun Run, good for Goulburn Fun Run, bad for the odd track race, good for City2Sea, bad for training, good for some ACT Masters XC Handicaps, bad since Xmas in training. Hopefully now good again.

I think I now have a handle on the problem...sciatic nerve (referred pain in the achilles)...where the trigger points or trapped areas are (especially the hamstring) and how to make this better long term. Ice, sciatic nerve flushing, neural stretching, self massage and manipulation, not wearing spikes or running fast unless I have done all the good things first.

Today a run to work and back (17km, 130km+ for the week). Tomorrow Stromlo XC Intervals, no spikes. Despite all the problems my last two full Stromlo step down sessions have been very near PB sets. I expect some fast times tomorrow with Steve to push me.

Comments

Cecilia said…
It sounds like there may be an end in sight for your achilles problem - I hope that giving the leg some love and attention resolves the problem!

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024