Races to Run : Puffing Billy Great Train Race, Belgrave, Melboune

I ran three events of the Puffing Billy Great Train Race in the 1990s. 1990, 1991, 1999 which basically encapsulated my Melbourne decade of living. That means I haven't run the event in this decade or last...very scary. The course approx 13.5km, very hilly, some dirt?, basically down in the last kilometres.

I talked to Mick last evening (a Geelong supporter by religion). Like me he lives in Canberra and fond memories of Melbourne and running. He and Kelley did the event last year and in the recent past. I asked him of what has changed since 1999?...

Back in the 90s there were two trains, male and female. Idea was race the trains and at the end some prize. Sometimes the train drivers got carried away and went too fast too early. Somewhere in the distance there was the sound of steam and chuffing echoing through the ferns. As in Paris-Roubaix the cycling, trains have right-of-way over athletes. In 1990 we had to wait briefly. Anyone who has done would want to do again.

My results: 1990 44:10 ? ; 1991 41:14 6th ; 1999 45:40 17th. In 1990 I had run a 25km race in 85 mins on Anzac Day, 4 days before. I completed the day watching Footscray (Western Bulldogs) defeat Carlton at Princes Park, thus becoming a WB fan forever. In 1999 I was a little fatter and older, with no form to speak of but could still do a set of 3 x 1km intervals in 3:03. So let's talk about 1991.

In 1991 I was training with Ringwood Athletics Club. We did some brutal sessions. I was racing Corporate Cup around the Tan regularly, raced some fun runs, orienteering events at an international level and was still aged <30...More importantly I was running 150km+ in training leading up to the event mixed with the speed sessions. Three or four of our club would have placed in the top 10.



Images Diary 1991, 1991, 1999, 1990, 1990. Entries for 2015 open soon...I may be there!! ta Cecilia for the prompt.

Comments

Cecilia said…
Entries open on February 10 - I don't usually note when entries open for an event, but this one is in my diary! I found that I received the "entries are open" email last year later in the day or the day after (whenever it was, it was after I had registered). Looking forward to it again this year! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024