Steve and Stromlo Elf at Stromlo ; ACT 10000m Championships

Steve and Stromlo Elf at Stromlo early this morning. I could hear the wind all night (and day). It must have been worse out there with no tree cover. The set: 1000m, 2 minutes jog recovery, 600m, 500m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m with 30 seconds jog recovery...a lactate set. Steve managed 3:10/km and the Elf was up on her numbers too. Great running.

10000m: Cool, 16 degrees, wind 37kph in the home straight, gusting to 48kph. Wind gauge said -1.6 for the two sprint races immediately prior. Even though I knew the conditions for the 10000m wouldn't be great I put myself through the day long mental and physical process and treated it like any championship race. I was mostly interested how I would cope wearing spikes, how I felt in the early laps. I didn't think beyond that into the race. 74 second first lap, 3000m in 10 flat and I could already see my main competitors 200m behind on the other side of the track. There were four (Glenn, Martin, V and one other). I watched their races unfold as I eased up to them, took three drinks from my personal drink station in lane 10, threw in harder bursts after the stops. Basically the second half was cheer people on as I circulated at the back of their bunch and let their race unfold with minimal influence from me. The pace was a consistent. I left them with 1 lap to go, 74 second last lap and 34:55? No damage done to the body. Spikes no problem, legs felt great, 140km+ last 7 days, on my way to see Cadel ride in Geelong tmoz.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024