ACT Masters Track : 3000m, Pennington 800m Handicap

A return for Steve to the track in the 3000m. I predicted 10:07, he beat my prediction by 1-2 seconds. Great run first week back. I knew from his training times he was doing OK. He will just get better and better from here.

Keith was doing track duty. He has been nursing a knee niggle but is well on the mend.

I saw Half Marathon Elf briefly. Her set times this week back into the 3:40s/km and looking good for whatever she turns her mind to. She recently did a 2 hour run.

Pennington 800m: Colin also M50 won this evening. Great to see him with a victory again. Kathy W60 a great run for 3rd and Helen W55 not far behind.

Five straight days of long runs for me, more than 80 minutes each day, still over 120km last 7 days for fifth week. The lower back has been tight from the big drive to Geelong and back. I warmed up for the 3000m, felt a tug on my right hammy and that was it for me...live to fight another day. I strolled around in the 3000m, around 10:50 but faster each lap. Did loads of self-physio on my back during the gap between 3000m and Pennington 800m, especially on the pole vault mats. Regardless of the hammy I put on my positive head for the race, led out Colin for the first 200m (we needed to catch Kathy) and I was close until 600m when we caught Kathy. That was it for me...I begrudgingly let Colin go, bagged 49 points for 2nd and stroll to the finish. That will be enough for me to win the three race series again with only the handicap 3000m remaining in a fortnight.

Once again it is not a real injury, referred pain from lower back/glutes. Next set the normal Saturday at Stromlo. Sunday will back up for Sprint Marathon Relay and miss watching World XC trials at Stromlo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024