Stromlo XC Intervals

Stromlo this morning. A breeze, cool until the sun came out, track cut about as good as it gets for the World XC Trials tomorrow.

Early set: Just Steve and me: 2000m 6:52, 1500m 5:01, 1200m 4:02, 800m Steve 2:33 Me 2:38, 400m Steve 69, 300m Me 57.

Later set: Maria: 2000m, 1500m, 1000m 4:15. Gabe: 5000m (paced by me) done as 4 minute intervals, 30 seconds float recovery 100m in 24:02 (net 23 mins approx). KT, SK, Emma, Tori and others out there as well.

Steve very similar to last week, another good set. Maria fully recovered from calf tear did well. Gabe fully recovered from holiday was impressive.

Of me: Right hamstring, glutes, lower back still tight. As on Thursday had to shorten my stride, increase cadence to get through set the same shape I started it. That meant reducing the speed a little but was still working very hard. Almost at maximum threshold but not quite. Have now completed my 5th consecutive (and 7th of 9) 120km+ weeks, peaking so far at 140km+. I expect to do another 5 or so weeks at this volume, possibly with one easier week along the way.

Tomorrow sprint marathon relay at the Governor General's house on bike path and grass by the lake. It entails approx 4 x 1000m plus 1 x 2000m with very long breaks done as a relay. Full distance covered by me will be about 11km. The final 5km I have to collect my other runners one by one so will get progressively slower. It is a long day. I will not be the fastest there. Young Joshua is the best under 18 middle distance runner in Australia at present. The race is not usually won by the team with the fastest runner but the best overall team and probably not by the team with the slowest runner. Speeds will vary from <3:00/km to >7:00/km. Ages 17-70+, both sexes. Helen and KT are both number 2s. Kathy and Alison will be there as well. As far as I know none are in my team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024