ACT Masters 5000m Championships

26 degrees, no wind, low humidity. Not the best conditions this season but very close...nothing to complain about. There were 23 finishers. One runner was half my speed which means I saw him almost every lap. On the whole the quality of the field was very good with all but two breaking 25 minutes. As usual a lot of time was spent in lane two but it seemed to come in clumps. Lots of people were running together.

Results: Me 16:24, Steve 17:14, Keith 18:11, Shane 18:32 (big PB), Dale 19:48, KT 20:35, Helen 21:24, Kathy 22:16, Roget 22:26. So everyone ran well from what I can see. Kathy has run quicker this season and Helen had a groin strain from the Monday session were the only exceptions and even they were still very solid runs.

Of me: I have to go back to 2011 for a faster 5000m run at an ACT Masters meet. The first time this season I've been at near race weight. 125km in the legs tonight, slightly less than previous weeks and the last 2 days have been easy. I'll put in one more big weekend of training and then the taper starts. I won't race until AMA Championships aside from a 4km handicap cross country next weekend. There are still some hard sessions to come but without risking injury.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024