ACT Masters XC Championships 8km

Weather cloudy, occasional showers, cool. The track at Stromlo completely saturated after all the rain with some puddles. It was hard going out there. There were a few dry spots on top of hills which were much quicker than the muddy grass elsewhere on the course. There was some wind.

The ACT Masters started with Men Under 20. I had one runner to chase which kept me honest all race. Keith at age almost 59 finished 2nd Masters and had an outstanding run defeating all Masters age groups including some very fine runners. Helen was jogging until the last lap and almost caught Anne by the finish. Shane did well until the last lap.

Of me: I ran first kilometre in 3:13 (leader was 3:00) to slip away from all the Masters racers then settled into maximum threshold for the duration. I kept my form throughout and ran 52 seconds quicker than at Australian Masters Athletic Championships in April and on a tougher course today. Volume was reduced from 130km down to 122km for last 7 days and felt just fresh enough to maintain rhythm all race. All up a very pleasing run.

I'm sure I'll get a photo of Keith later and maybe a video from Ewen. Will update post in coming days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024