City2Surf 2016 14km

City2Surf is a race like no other I've ever done. It's more carnival than road race with 80000 entrants and 99% of those social runners.

This year's edition had fine weather, some wind especially in the final 6km, the course changed from previous years and for no good reason. [I have to mention baggage was a debacle] For us it was up at 5am drive to Centennial Park by gate open at 6am, jog to the start and drop off baggage, find the start, race, find friends, find a bus, find food and coffee, walk to Centennial Park, drive home 300km.

Of me: It was my final day of a four month build up phase. I had a jog along the bay on the day before, only 4km. I felt awful, not tapered well enough, abandoned the racing flats for training shoes to run in. I didn't bother with a proper warm up, took the race steady until after heartbreak hill, then started chasing runners more tired than me. Time was among my slowest, can't expect any better really with low motivation and training shoes. I'm not sore so should be ready to start direct preparation phase leading into Canberra Times Fun Run 10km in a few weeks where I will be wearing racing shoes and will be fully tapered. More results later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024