2016 : Review in Pictures

January: A trip to Tassie for the Cadbury Half Marathon. Since late 2013 I've been racing in training shoes to save my left foot from further injury. I solved the problem in September this year but not before I raced the Cadbury Half, Australian Masters XC, City2Surf and every other race not on grass or track in a modified left training shoe with part of the sole cut out.

February: My first trip to Emma's farm. A lovely weekend with a couple of runs in beautiful country, ending with the ritual of pulling off blood sucking leeches from shoes.

March: Chased the hot air balloons all over Canberra in the pre-dawn only for them to turn up at Stromlo for Saturday training.

April: Wood fired pizza with friends on a balmy evening just up the road. Australian Masters Athletics Championships in Adelaide. 10000m I was relaxed, two easier days in the 5000m and 1500m saving my energy for the cross country on the final day. The race very similar to the World Championships in September. I was very fast early, deliberately made the racing tough, pace dropped when I was not on the front and couldn't get away solo. In Adelaide I worked very hard until the final 500m, had no kick left at the end. I worked on my kick all winter and spring and slightly different tactics.

May and June: It gets cold here in Canberra. Bella hides under the covers and gets dragged off to the snow. I get most of my faster sessions done mid-afternoon when it is warmer.

July: The annual trip to Europe for Tour de France. I always love it! It's not great for the racing form but I do get lots of running in. Pizza and pastries, baguettes, salad, cheese, wine, drinking yoghurt, lots of driving.

August: City2Surf and Minnie's birthday often on the same weekend. Fun with 70000 friends. Another visit to Emma's farm and I crack the top of my femur in a running fall. It's not diagnosed as a fracture until 7-8 weeks later when it repairs itself.

September: Late September my new shoes come and I'm racing fast again on road.

October: Western Bulldogs win the AFL grand final. Taper week spent on Rottnest Island and World Masters Athletics Championships begin.

November: World Masters Athletics Championships conclude. I get back to the other reality in Canberra...working 7-4, training hard again.

December: Party time! More time for training. Days are hot and long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024