Competition Period 1 2017 Update

Today a long recovery run of 75 minutes on mostly soft surfaces. I felt great out there. A surprise, most of the nerve pain has gone away on my left side (residue from loading furniture into a ute last Sunday). After track last evening I found my 'friends' the taped tennis balls and got them stuck into loosening up my left hip and lower back. I think I can move forward again.

We have four weeks left of track here in Canberra. There are three Championship races (1500m, 800m, 5000m) and an options week (not much on program). Following that one high volume week, another 10 day taper and straight into Competition Period 2 (more on that later).

Race pace lactate intervals are required for the 800m / 1500m races. For the 5000m I need more 5000m specific pace sessions.

Steve can flog me over 800m / 1500m but he is out for the season. All the races I expect to be time trials. I'll always get more out of myself when there is competition. I'll have to wait until Competition Period 2 for that.

Competition Period 1

3 March to 31 March 2017


Aims to develop: Race pace, specific speed, power. Special focus on speeds for 800m-3000m and kick down, lactate tolerance.

Training Goal: Aim to fit in no more than 3-4 of the sessions below each week. Volume is no more than 110km/week on average.

Race Pace Lactate intervals: short (or step down) intervals at race pace. [600m,500m,400m,300m,200m ; 5x300m ; 4x200m, all with 60 seconds recovery or less]

Race specific time trials: Time trials on track at target pace.

Long intervals with long recovery: On track or XC, long or short intervals with long recovery at target pace.

Race Conditioning: Track, road or cross country races.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024