Australian Masters Games 1500m M55-59 1st 4:35.87

This morning in Penguin 1500m combined M45-M64. Weather warm, sunny, wind was strong, dead into the face in the back straight. I thought I'd be using this race as a time trial. As luck would have it it was combined ages with David Riches M60 and Rob Italia M45 both in good form.

Gun went, David straight to the front, Rob on his heels, I slotted in behind them. David was setting a solid pace even into the wind. At 550m in Rob let a little gap open up to David, I crossed it. At 700m in I took the lead and executed the same kick I'd used in Auckland and Darwin. Accelerate enough to get a gap and work hard enough to keep it, 400m to go accelerate again, not full gas, 200m to go accelerate, 100m full gas finish. David was close but not near my heels with 250m to go. Gap at the finish was 7 seconds with David running a PB and setting a NSW age record. I reset my ACT age record by 2 seconds with 4:35.87. That was my fastest 1500m since 2013. M55-59 podium was Brent 2nd and Phil 3rd. Results later.

All up a great weekend of running with 2017 best efforts in 800m, 1500m and 10km. What's really pleasing is I am racing like I train with both structured in the same way...solid start, accelerate in the middle, always save something for the end.

Only 12km today. I did a 35 minute warm down on the beach. I could do just easy running tomorrow but if I'm up for it a 6km maximum threshold XC as long intervals with short recovery. I'll see how I feel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024