Road to World Masters Athletics Championships Malaga 2018 : Training Update

Final program for World Masters Athletics Championships Malaga 2018 has been released. Entries are not open as yet but are coming. I've done almost everything else but enter. I am committed to 8000m XC, 10km road, 5000m track and either 1500m or Half Marathon (timetable clash). I'll aim for a two peak program with Australian Masters Athletics Championships in Perth, April 26-29 April 2018 and World Masters Athletics Championships Malaga September 5-16 2018.

Having now completed my first training block which commenced after Australian Masters Athletics Championships in mid-June I've extended it to late December 2017. Track season is in full swing here, I'm training through it. My only race target before late-January is a One Hour run on track in mid-November where I'll attempt to run an Australian M55 record of around 17200m. I'll have a 2 day mini-taper before that.

Lead up races in July 2018 may include Gold Coast Half Marathon or 10km and Sutherland2Surf 11km road race. My final race in Australia before Malaga will be City2Surf 14km road race in Sydney on 12 August with 75000 other people. I leave Sydney for Paris and the French alps on 13 August and a three week training / altitude block.

Cross Country is the first event in Malaga and that is the key focus. Malaga cross country course has a power/strength hill each of 4 laps. I've been doing a set at Stromlo that closely resembles each lap of the course at Malaga. Some of those sets have been around 3:03/km which is much quicker than I've done in the past.

I'm moving house this week to very near Stromlo Cross Country circuit and the other end of the Arboretum which has some hill trails in the pine forest.

I've booked a hotel near the main stadium in Malaga, flights are done, car lease is remaining.

Yesterday in the Burnie 10km Road Race I found the level of fitness better than I was at World Masters Athletics Championships in Lyon 2015 and Perth 2016. It's all been due to 4 months of high volume running, lots of power hill sessions, maximum threshold sessions and a few races.

In late December 2017 I'll begin more structured running with a series of training blocks in preparation for Australian Masters Athletics Championships in Perth, April 2018. First test of that training will be Oceania Masters Athletics Championships Dunedin NZ 18-25 January 2018 with 8000m XC, 5000m, 800m, 1500m over a week.

Once again, nothing else matters except Australian Masters Athletics Championships in Perth, April 26-29 2018 and World Masters Athletics Championships Malaga September 5-16 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024