2017 In Review

2017 was always going to be an anti-climax to 2016 after having the World Masters Athletics Championships in our backyard in Perth. I set myself some goals at the start of the year and added another in along the way.

Goal 1: Break every ACT M55 Age Track Record from 800m to One Hour. FAIL. I haven't broken the 800m record yet.

Goal 2: Test myself at championship level in the 1500m. PASS. I won the World Masters Games NZ, Australian Masters Athletics Championships Darwin and Australian Masters Games Burnie M55 1500m events, all in quick times.

Goal 3: (Set this after running Gold Coast Half Marathon) Repair my base maximum threshold level after peaking twice in a month for World Masters Games NZ, Australian Masters Athletics Championships Darwin. PASS. I won my Age Cat with solid runs in City2Surf 14km, Canberra Times 14km and Burnie 10km road races. The 14km races were both inprovements on my split in the Gold Coast Half. The Burnie TEN was easily my best road race of the year.

Along the way I also won M55 events: 5000m and 10000m at World Masters Games NZ ; 10000m, 5000m and 8km Cross Country at Australian Masters Athletics Championships and 800m in Australian Masters Games Burnie.

Of course every year I attempt to maintain the same level regardless of age that I've had in the 11 years to making a comeback to athletics. I've done that again to my satisfaction. Every time or distance has been bettered in 2017 compared to 2016 except 5000m.

2018 will be a new year of challenges. What really matter to me is how I train for and perform in the Australian Masters Athletics Championships in Perth and the World Masters Athletics Championships in Malaga. Every other event is a test or my training and mental processes.

2019 will be a different story again...it may involve Penguins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024