Wind Training and Running

The ribs only getting marginally better each day. I'm now able to sleep well enough and had my second day of running (13 minutes today). It is still scary painful so I won't go beyond these small trots unless the body improves.

Today Minnie drove off to Goulburn to visit Charlie and bring us back a new trainer for the bike. My old time trial machine is set up on the new Lemond Revolution.

This afternoon begin to sessions based on the running program. Only 10 minutes on the trainer. 1 minute rolling, 6 minutes gear 53/15 @ 85rpm, 1 min rolling, 2 minutes 53/17 gear @ 100 rpm. I've been wantng to do some cross training for a while and finally I am back into it but not by choice...I'd rather be running.

No pain on the trainer, very much pain running...the jolting to my ribs all too much at present.

Next day, Monday: 10 minutes or 2km with Bella then 10 minutes on the trainer. 1 minute rolling, 6 minutes gear 53/15 @ 85rpm, 2 minutes 53/17 gear @ 100 rpm, 1 minute rolling.

The pain on the run almost but not quite bearable. If I was stupid I could do much more running with short breaks between. For now I will be patient and let the body heal some more.

Tuesday and the ribs seemingly no better after sleeping on them. As the day wore on I found I could isolate sore spots instead of pain everywhere. There was one spot in particular where if I applied pressure the pain disappeared. I did some gentle finger massage to the region. In the afternoon I taped up the area (just below my heart, slightly to the centre, put on two compression tops and managed 45 minutes of running and 10 minutes on the wind trainer (4 minutes @ 100rpm gear 39/15). That was enough encouragement to start building the volume back up, continue with the massage, taping, compression and anti-inflams. Will see how this all goes. Also today I had to make some biomechanical changes while running to relieve pressure on the area. Straighten the back, pull back the shoulders, arms closer to the body and more acute angle at the elbow.

Also today Keith did a short interval session with some nice numbers. The girls should have run 5km at Black Mountain Peninsula. Steve and Jane are in taper mode for a 10km on the Central Coast.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024