Long Run #3 : Not the Canberra Half Marathon

I lay in bed watching final 20km of the Giro this morning on big screen (recorded on computer). So it was a late run down to the lake and out onto the Canberra Half Marathon course to cheer on. I pulled onto the course with runners travelling in the mid-4s so really had to work to catch some of my friends. Luckily there was a loop through Black Mtn Peninsula so I could catch up.

After cheering on KT, Elle, Maria and so on (all were doing well) I ran the course further to less than 1km remaining, more cheering on for Elle and Maria, then made the reverse trip home.

Not a half marathon for me but close, 19km with some surging efforts in the mid-3s, start and finish in the 4s and 81 minutes. I need to do a loosener this afternoon, 3km will do to give me 120km for the last 7 days, my first since the end of January.

If I do race Gold Coast Half Marathon I will have 7 big weeks and one easier week in my legs. I estimate I am another 4 weeks until I get back on top of form again and lose my Buddha belly.

I will have two ACTVAC XC handicaps before the GCHM, the first at West Majura next Sunday. It is a brute of a finish, basically all down and then all up on the return. It is usually my best chance of stealing a win as the final 1km needs a super strong mind and body. The mind is willing but the body isn't ready. It will be another good test for the achilles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024