De ja vu 3 x 600m : Jackie Fairweather

Two or three days before each track race we do a direct preparation session, slightly faster than the race pace we hope for. Recovery from the session within the two or three days to race day means the session can only be around 1.5-2km. The race this Thursday 5000m at 8pm. It should be good weather with light winds and in the low 20s or high teens.

This time last year Steve and I did an identical session of long warm up, 4-5 x 100m, 3 x 600m. The times for me last year: 1:46, 1:47, 1:45.2. This year: 1:45, 1:45, 1:44.5. For Steve Today: 1:47, 1:48, 1:44.5...Last year: 1:51, 1:51, 1:49. Steve has been otherwise occupied and good to see he is also in better shape than last year.

Of course last year only a week later I tripped on a very small rock and broke three ribs putting me out of race action for 6 weeks, missing both Victorian 5000m Championships and Zatopek Lower Grades 10000m when I was in red hot form. While I won't travel to Melbourne for the Vic 5km I hope to for the Zatopek. Fingers crossed I can remain healthy, uninjured and keep or improve the good form I think I have.

Even though I am two days into my taper I am still sitting on 128km for the last week. With only 10 km scheduled tomorrow I should be down to 110km by Thursday. Not a full taper as yet but it will be by next Sunday and City2Sea 15km in Melbourne.

Keith did 3 x 600m as well, all around 2:00. Helen did 3 x 2 minutes on her own. Jane is starting to run well again with some 1km efforts around 4:10. Some of the girls ran 5km on bitumen today in the Spring Series. No results as yet.

Vale Jackie Fairweather. We lived near each other, I frequently saw Jackie or Simon or Jackie and Simon on runs in the bush around here. I only had one really decent chat with Jackie during a long run. I recall it very well. It was about recognition of what she had achieved, training in general and being a role model which she was. Awesome and tough athlete. Rest in peace.

From my archives: World XC Trials Stromlo Forest Park February 2009.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024