AIS Track : 800m pace intervals

Yesterday a lazy Sunday. I was on duty at the ACT Masters XC handicap in the morning. Only managed 4km for the day due to heat and late thunderstorms, general lethargy. Also to give the body a rest to shake this lergy...it may have worked.

Today I reset the schedule. Not much on this Thursday at track. 800m Higgins Handicap (in honour of a death by athletics at ACT Masters and all who have passed away) will be the highlight. Today a session to put myself in with a chance to run 2:12 or thereabouts and a chance of a win.

The set: 1.5km warm up (it was very hot), 4 x 100m, 4 x 200m (33,33,31,31), 4 x 100m, 2.5km, 4 x 100m, 600m (1:45), 3 x 200m (33), 2.5km.

Tomorrow if no thunderstorms a 5km XC event / race at Stromlo. Just keeping the form ticking along with small volume and all the sessions until mid-December when track stops for a bit. We get a new track in Woden from January. The surface I believe is a distance surface (more bounce), at lower altitude (below 600m asl) and protected from the wind (especially from the west and north west, less sun). I raced there only once in the 1980s when it was grass.

I am still a possibility for a drive to Melbourne and back on Thursday for Zatopek lower grades 10000m although I would need to make an improvement in breathing from the lergy and show some form tomorrow if the race goes ahead.

The 800m handicap on Thursday if not...all the threats are older folk who start ahead. The usual plan is to run a quick 300m, make contact with M55 & M60 runners by the bell, not be held wide on the bend after the bell, chase down Kathy W60 in he last lap. Kathy and I trained together today. She is just back from Nepal and not in good health or shape but is among the very best in the world for her age when she is. We did the 600m effort together, Kathy with a 42 second head start (same as I give her over 800m) and caught her with 80 metres to go. I didn't have to run in lane two, Kathy wasn't racing...it is always close. Dark horse is M50 Colin who won Australian Masters Athletics 800m in Hobart 2007. I will have to commit to my race and not worry about him. That means he gets a sit on me if he is good enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024