Higgins Memorial 800m Handicap

With storms raging all around we were lucky to get the race in at all. The javelin was called off mid-event (nothing like holding a metal spear during a thunderstorm). We had a pre-race minute of silence in light rain. It was a huge field.

The race itself was over in a flash. I had a really quick first 200m rounding up almost everyone, got caught wide in lane four after 280m when overtaking 5 runners thus slowing my progress. In the main straight for the first time I had clear air and was still a long was from M65 John Lamb after giving him 14 seconds head start. At 600m I was 30 metres behind and closing which is where John started his kick from and forced me to do the same. He didn't tie up in the home straight, nor did I but never looked like making contact. No shame losing out to John. He still runs 60 flat for 400m and has one of the toughest heads I know.

I ran the 3000m early event as a warm-up. First 600m in the 1:40s then coasted around in 10:30 or so, felt very good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024