Long XC Step Down Intervals ; Keith in Bemboka

Very hot night here and not much better in the morning (39c yesterday,27c 2am,23c 6am, 28c 8am). Steve and I ran early. It was OK until the sun came up.

The set: 6,5,4,3,2,1 minute intervals with 60 seconds jog recovery. I was through 1000m in 3:13 on first effort, within 20 metres of where I usually hit. Encouraging given my first day without aching legs, four days after the half marathon. Steve was close behind, led the last effort. We both suffered in the heat.

I don't often take pulse during a set, today I did. On first three efforts pulse 210 bpm end of effort, 180 bpm 15 seconds after effort. On the final effort 210 bpm, 180 bpm again, 120 bpm after 60 seconds. I don't have anything to compare to in recent times but it will give a guide when we do some shorter efforts with 90 seconds recovery and not begin another effort unless pulse lowers to 120 bpm within 90 seconds.

Keith in Bemboka found it too hot, ran a 20 minute tempo at 4:00/km.

Next set on Saturday, same set as today. I have two weeks to bring myself up again for the ACT Masters 10000m Championships. I should be able to do that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024