Jack Pennington Series Finale : 3000m

Jack Pennington passed away a few months ago. A race series was named after him in 2000 as the club's best ever middle distance athlete. The races 800m, 1500m, 3000m on an age/sex adjusted handicap basis and by points 50,49,48...not time. I've had many chats with Jack over the years. He could tell a good yarn. The yarn I remember this evening was of a race he ran in the USA, a mile race. It was very hot. While everyone was warming up in the sun Jack took shelter in the shade of a tree. Jack won the race.

This afternoon was very hot with some wind. Start was 6pm. It was over 35 degrees in the shade and baking hot in the sun. We all took shelter in the shade before the start. I enlisted Helen to provide water on the main straight to anyone who had a bidon or two. I had five bidons, one I took to the start line.

The scenario: After the 800m and 1500m I (M55) was leading Steve (M45) by 1 point, 2 points in front of Kathy (W65). I train with both of them. I gave Kathy 2:24 head start (almost 2 laps), Steve had to give me a big head start.

I hate losing the Pennington Series. In the last 10 years I've been beaten twice in the series, both times by athletes better than me age/sex for age/sex in that year. Hugh Lennon M45 (2011) and Kathy Southgate W55(2012) both had the better of me. I was in great shape both of those years.

This evening I tipped 5 bidons of water on my head in 7.5 laps. I kept my core cool, just as I did in Lyon WMA, Perth WMA and many other track races. What I have discovered is the water needs to be tipped on head most laps (almost every lap), otherwise the body cooks under the heated water. In the end I cruised around at 10km pace (10:09) and kept my cool. I caught Kathy with a lap to go. Kathy finished 2nd, sealing 2nd in the series. Steve finished 4th (Colin M55 and 3 time winner in 2004,2005,2007 was 3rd) both tied on points for 3rd (count back to decide). Everyone raced slow in those conditions. Steve could win the Pennington series next year if he is fit going into race 1 in the series.

I miss your yarns Jack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024