One Hour Track Time Trial



Wet track for the One Hour Time Trial with ACT Masters Athletics Club. The weather cleared off just before the start with light winds. I was chasing the World record of 17394 metres and risked everything to give that a crack. Keith and I would be running in lane 2 for much of the race. I was still on target for 10000m before posting some 87 second laps later in the race. I thought I had the Australian record of 17186 metres (set in 1974 by John Gilmour) under control until I tried to lift with 3 laps to go and all I could post was 84,84 and 350 metres very quick but not quick enough. 17152 metres was further than my first M50 Australian Hour record but not further than my current Australian M50 record of 17357.9 metres I set in 2013. It was a new ACT record by more than a kilometre.

Keith Law ran 15702m, breaking the joint M60 ACT record of Keith Perroux and Bernie Millett set in 1986 & 2003, also by more than a kilometre.

My preparation for the event went horribly wrong two days prior when I locked myself out of the apartment. I had to run 30km (mostly in jeans) to rectify the situation when I was slated for 5-10km that day. So with 138km in the legs last 7 days and carbohydrates depleted little wonder I had a mini-fade late in the One Hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024