Pennington Handicap 1500m 1st 4:37.9 Handicap Age Sex Adjusted Series

Decent weather for the 1500m, first of three races in the Pennington handicap series (800m,1500m,3000m). I had to give Kathy (W65) 1:33 head start (almost a lap). The result is always close and Kathy trained strongly with us last Saturday. I knew she would be tough to catch.

I executed the same 1500m race plan I've used since April 2017 in The World Masters Games in Auckland, again in Australian Masters Athletics Championships in Darwin again in the Australian Masters Games in Tasmania, all were wins. I start strong and relaxed for the first 300m, increase pace after that point, holding until final lap or so, final lap increasing pace but always saving something for the final 100m. It's very scary in a handicap race with Kathy such a fast starter, I backed myself to get the job done. The race is handicap by points (50,49,48...) and time doesn't matter. 4:37 was as quick as I ran in Darwin and Auckland earlier this year and this run done on mostly base training and high volume.

I first saw Kathy with 900m to go and still 200m ahead. While Kathy was slowing I was increasing in pace and caught her with 100m remaining. I wasn't full gas down the home straight and did waist a few seconds there as I did finish in lane 4 as required and into a stiff headwind.

800m is the next race in the series in a month or so. I'll have to do some 800m specific sessions before then to get another win. There's really nobody else in the series who can challenge us. We both had runs over 90% age standard today.

The 10000m walk championships were on this evening along with a full array of events. Everybody was having fun.

I skipped the 3000m/5000m as the evening was running late. I went for a warm down with Jaffa the dog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024