Oceania Masters Day 3 : 8km Cross Country

Start for the women just after dawn on a challenging, technical course. One major hill and two steeples to negotiate each 2km lap. A race of attrition and lactate management.
 Sally Gibbs again outright and W45 winner in 31:48.
Of us: Minnie 1st W50, Anne Young 1st W75

Men same course. 5000m winner Brendan Whelan led lap 1. I let him run away twice before catching him on the first climb. Let him run away again, reeled him in 800m before the end of lap 2, gained my breath and attacked him. From that point on I ran at my tempo and slowly built my lead up to 25 seconds, held the same margin all the way home. Sb 28:25 bw 28:50

Back to Canberra this evening.

Comments

David said…
Nice one Bruce,
I suspect BW sat and kicked in the 5000?
How did you go?
Dave S
Debacle David. I re-posted as it didn't work by phone from NZ. I let BW run today and run my own race as running his race wasn't at all a good outcome for me in the 5000m. It did get me race fit through. I felt great yesterday and today...terrible in the 5000m.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024