Stromlo Running Festival : Age Adjusted 7.5km XC

Never before have we had the chance to compete on equal terms with the best in Australia...today was that day. Keith Bateman, Lara Tamsett, Moneghetti, Marty Dent...the list goes on. Deek doing the MC work.


As a team we were out of the prizemoney. We had fun, all did well, shared a nice lunch at Rocksalt straight after the race. What a great day. Roll call Maria, Pete, Kelley, Kirsten, KT, SK, Minnie, Helen, Heidze, Roget, Janene, Emma the coach and cinematographer, our social friends Kathy, Geoff and Michelle.

Maria was first off, Kathy Southgate not long after that. Then more of the cast of hundreds of stars past, present and future.

Of me: Woke again unable to walk. Almost in panic mode with only an hour before the start of the race, had to get Minnie to do deep tissue massage, rolling pin, anti-inflams just to free the shin and foot up. Somehow got it all working again...sigh



The race a panic as well. A constant stream of passing people on that tough purpose built XC circuit we know so well. The surface lush and wet. Moneghetti starting 15 seconds or so behind me (we are 8 months difference in age), had to catch as many people as possible and let as few as possible pass me. It was hard enough catching my friends. Moneghetti caught me towards the end of lap 1, Harry Summers and Marty Dent 1 kilometre from the end on lap 3. In front of me I caught everybody except Keith Bateman who held off Moneghetti by 100m. I only caught my friends Maria on the last lap and Kathy Southgate with 200m to go.

1st Keith Bateman ; 2nd Steve Moneghetti ; 3rd Harry Summers ; 4th Marty Dent ; 5th Me ; 6th Scott Westcott (who just pipped); 7th Kathy Southgate... The times? I think Moneghetti did 21 mins, 24:48 for me or 3:18/km. Pretty happy with that 2 days after a 10000m. Now to work on that shin/ankle so it doesn't give me grief again.

Comments

David said…
KB says he ran 24:48 so your 24:48 was a fantastic run! Congrats again!
David said…
Should read KB 24:40
Than David. The official results had kb 24:38, bg 24:46, monna 23:30s?, and Lara (who is also around my level) at 24:52?

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024