Retrospect : Periodisation

Periodisation is an old concept. Many athletes use it to some extent in preparing for a big race or series of races. Since 2009 I've (along with my friends) used 7 sequential training blocks similar to those used by Moroccan distance runners in a yearly cycle culminating with the Australian Masters Athletics Championships.

I translated the information on Moroccan distance running as best I could without alteration. They are posted elswhere in this blog in detail. The first two training blocks last six months. They are characterised by building a base with high volume (120km per week on average for me), long intervals at or below maximum threshold and hills for strength and later power. No more than 3-4 hard sessions are done each week. After six weeks of the first block we are in great shape again, ready to race anything from 5km to a half-marathon. There are very few races in these blocks.

There are two competition periods in the cycle, one usually before Christmas,  the other in March or April. These two competition periods have two blocks (direct preparation and competion). In between the two competition blocks is another base building block, usually done over the Christmas break. During the competition blocks lasting no more than three to four weeks each volume is reduced by one third (80km per week for me). It takes at least 10 days to taper into good racing form. Generally the only 100% racing that is done is within the two 3-4 week competition windows. Outside this any races are used as training (at a slower pace or done as intervals).

Over the last three seasons all of us who have trained under this method and made it to nationals uninjured have peaked and run well at nationals. There have been casualties along the way. This year we had 7 athletes run 25 individual races for 23 medals, more than half of which were gold.

Three of us had two other major competition periods (Oceania Masters Athletic Championships in January and Australian Masters Games in October). 3 athletes in 10 events for 10 medals, 9 of which were gold.

Personally, I had one major injury during the last 3 seasons. Stepping back into a pothole damaged my peroneal ankle tendons. Although I made nationals and ran well the injury compromised my training for almost a year. Other than that I've rarely been sick or injured, always been motivated, always had a plan and desire to move forward again.

Comparison

In my former life as a distance runner I trained on a weekly cycle, one strongly influenced by that used by Robert de Castella. I was fit all year round, racing all year round. I was always in a flux of an athlete motivated and training hard, flourishing when racing well, in decay when injured or sick. Following this may be a period of lack of motivation before rebuilding again. I was sick on a regular basis. I never ran track championships at a state or national level. There were fun runs and cross country races on most weeks. Some weekends I would race 3 times. I often raced Friday and Saturday on the track. There were some good runs, some great runs, some ordinary runs, some bad runs. I over-trained and over-raced. Chaotic at best.. Illness for a long time happened on a 10-12 week cycle. I planned some races around being sick. Eventually I got sick of being sick.

Next post: Training sets for racing used by Hicham ElGuerrouj



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024