City2Surf 2013

Just about perfect conditions today for hanging out at Bondi...the sun out and great for basking by the beach.

We drove up yesterday evening and spent our stay at Brighton le Sands on Botany Bay, just the 3 of us with Minnie, Michelle and myself. Being Minnie's birthday tomorrow we made an evening of it with wood fired pizza, salad vert and a bottle of some pinot noir from Beaune in Burgundy where we had been a week earlier. I did a 7km run along the Botany Bay foreshore on dusk.

Race day was a drive to Centennial Park, walk and jog to the start, meeting friends and so on. The same followed at the finish where Maria, Helen, Steve (Jane from a distance), Kathy, Geoff and us three all found each other at some point in the crowd. Many of us shared by coincidence a bus ride to Bondi J.

Faster Fossils won M50+ team for the umteenth time. APS United would have won if they put in a team and I swapped over. Only 10 seconds between Peter James and Andrew Edwards.

Three of the fastest 4 APS United AthsVic team were there in Sydney also and APS United M50+AthsVic team still won AthsVicM50+ XCR'13 at Warragul the day before but with different people.

Of me: I managed to find myself on tv:-) In the race itself I ran very strong the whole way. I pushed on the down hills very hard and just plain hard elsewhere. I can't really fault my run. I knew before the start I would lack 5000m speed but would be able to run hard the whole way. 10km split was around 34:50 and my last 3000m into the breeze but mostly down was in 9:21 to give me 48:01 approx. I was a tad dehydrated before the start but grabbed plenty of fluid along the way to compensate. I was 1st M50+. Keith Bateman did not run in M55+. Steve M fired the gun!!

Comments

David said…
Great running Bruce specially when considering all your travelling.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024