The past in images

Today I was tagged on social media in three images. It is the second group of images I have been tagged in over the last few months and the common denominator is Paul Arthur and are images taken by his dad I believe.

As is the case with all the images I've had to go back to the running diary to remember. I will put the images in context.

The first two are taken at the NSW XC Championships on 29th July 1989. All my diary says is that I finished 7th. Two weeks later I ran 44:04 for 13th in City2Surf so I know I was fit.. I was living in three addresses on that day. Sometimes I stayed in Sydney with my family, I was also living in Belanglo State Forest in an orienteering 'hut' and was in the process of moving to Melbourne. As a result my training was patchy having weeks of up to 170km per week but quite often having easy weeks. As my diary shows I was regularly doing 3000m tempo runs on my own in training between 8:45 and 8:50.

Paul and I were from the same club as the singlet shows. We raced together at club only events (training races) and were of equal speed at that time.





















This shot is from Sun Herald Half Marathon. My diary has my splits: 'NSW Half Marathon, 3rd, 5km 14:50, 10km 31:09, 15km 47:38, 21.1km 67:59'. Jamie Harrison won, Paul Arthur was 4th and the course included a flat exposed section near Botany Bay which was into a strong wind for around 10km as I recall.

This race I had rested for, only 79km in the last week. 

By comparison. on 21st May 1989 I ran Canberra Half Marathon. The splits: '3rd, 5km 15:36, 10km 31:36, 15km 47:43, 21.1km 67:30.The week before this race I had been in Kosciusko National Park doing my own training camp. It included lots of intervals, a long run and 140km for the week. I did this race as an afterthought on the way home. Results below. I remember chasing Pat Carroll the whole way and Peter Haynes caught and passed me with 1km to go. I was fading fast.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024