Inspiration Comes From : City2Surf Part 1 : 1978-1982

Entries opened for City2Surf this week and I've entered after missing last year due to World Masters Athletics Championships in Lyon, held at the same time.

I'll be posting a series of articles in coming months based on three topics of inspiration for me: 1. City2Surf -- 2. Robert de Castella -- 3. The rivalry between Seb Coe and Steve Ovett

My first ever race was City2Surf in 1978 at the age of 16. I can't even recall training for it...just front up and run. I covered the hilly 14km distance in 72:42 and placed 6122nd. 1979 after some training 53:28 and 376th. I didn't run in 1980 or 1981 (not sure why?). In 1982 I ran 45:32 and 31st. By sheer luck I was the first 20 year old and won an all expenses trip to Tokyo, Japan for a week or so. I was inspired forever. I was inspired by the race itself, especially by the winners, a little afraid of having my name printed in the newspaper for all to see.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024