Wish Poosh v Northern Exposure

This week I began watching Northern Exposure on DVD, all six series in box set. It wasn't until this week I discovered I had actually been to Roslyn, Washington State in August 1990, the filming location for series set in the fictitious Cicely, Alaska.

I spent the first night camped at Wish Poosh campground deep in the forest by lake Cle Elum. My exploratory run took me 9.5km up a winding fire trail high up onto the ridge until I spotted a bear just off the trail making all sorts of noise.



...I immediately turned around and bolted down the hill. 19km in 82 minutes.








I moved into the town of Roslyn for the next few nights and camped with my Australian orienteering friends at the Alternate High School out on the road verge lawn. It was much safer there until a thunderstorm brought the town hoons to the flooded school car park in their SUVs to test out the skid pan sending tidal waves as far as the tent.

We spent 3 days orienteering in Roslyn for the Pacific North West Orienteering championships and inaugural World String O Championship in which I placed 2nd:-) It was my last series of orienteering events in a northern hemisphere summer that included Norway, Sweden and Canada.

I did a set on the grass track behind the school: 4 x 200m in 30 seconds, 800m 2:20, 2000m 6:17

Northern Exposure had just begun screening in the USA a month earlier and I didn't even know the show existed until a year or two later. I grew to love it then but not understand it. What led me to the point of purchasing a boxed set was to see once more a French speaking dog morph into a French speaking cake mixer...I am finally beginning to understand the series and love it even more.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024