Australian Masters Athletics Championships : 5000m

Windy this morning that often made a difference the way races were run.
W5000m: Jane ran the perfect race, sitting in out of the wind on the rails until 1000m to go broke away briefly but was overrun by Francesca (won also won 1500m yesterday in stylish fashion). 18:50 for Jane, Francesca 1842, Anna coming home strongly for 3rd. Kym gave her all, very happy to run 19high.






M55-59 5000m: Keith ran a brave 3rd in 18:02. A bunch of four was whittled down to 3 & then 2 who ran just under 18 mins. For Keith some bad luck in the last few weeks set him back a peg. Still a few chances to chase those times he has been looking for. It has been a great season so far by any measure. David 19:13, classy.






M45-54 5000m: Three of us broke away at the start. Rob M45 led early, then SteveQ M50 until around 3.5km, then Rob again until the finish. It was slow early (16:40 pace), Rob picked it up to win in 16:18, me dropped with 250m to go 16:22, SteveQ 16:39 ran strongly to the finish. Steve RJ had another great run M45 3rd in 17:15. It's been a great year for Steve and potentially a transition to something even better. Steve has been a great training partner for me personally this year, both pressuring and helping me in sessions. Geoff ran just over 18, a near pb. Welcome to the new age group of M50.













W60 & W70 5000m: Lavinia W70 21:31 new world record, Kathy W60 1st 21:42.
Of me: Woke with inflamed peroneal tendons on the left ankle due to spikes in the 10km. Same tendons that I had to tape for a year (2010-2011) and that have never fully recovered and never will. I couldn't  run in spikes on left ankle so replaced with marathon shoes I have been wearing in. Marathon on left, spikes on right. I knew of the injury at 6am when I tried to run but couldn't get it warmed up in spikes. Contemplated withdrawing, tested the two shoe thing and decided to circulate for 12.5 laps. I've done a full warm down of 7km. I've taken anti-inflammatory tablets. Will find out tomorrow morning if it is still an issue for the XC.
On the race itself I felt great. No pain in the ankle, ungainly wearing shoes of different heights. When Rob took over I began to feel uncomfortable. With 2 laps to go I was under pressure, with 600m I was almost dropped, with 250m I was finally dropped, I didn't give my max effort in the home straight. I didn't lead the race for a single metre, it didn't feel like a race, I did feel guilty for not doing a turn into the wind, I did survive and do a season best.
I feel like I need to do another 5000m this season so no half marathon next weekend, will race some more 5000m on track if the ankle is ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024