Australian Masters Athletics Championships : 8km XC

With two pieces of ankle tape and another run around the course I did make it to the start line again and in good spirits. The only other ACTVAC runners competing were Steve RJ, Kym and Geoff.
The course as I described in a previous post, the race went as I thought. Chris M35 led Darren M35, Daniel M45 and myself M50 on the first lap, including that majestic view of the Derwent. The pace was quick but comfortably hard. After the first set of climbs there were three with Daniel having dropped off. At the end of lap 1 Chris had dropped off leaving Darren and myself to fight it out like last year. I know from last year Darren likes to slow, draw you in, surge repeatedly until he is solo. Today I let him surge and then respond more slowly to keep the lactate levels in check. By the start of the bottom set of climbs for the final time Darren realised I wasn't going to drop off. He slowed the race down enough for me to attack but his response was the same...draw me in and surge. The pace in the final kilometre was quicker and we sprinted out the finish. Same result as last year only the gap reduced from 100 to 5 metres and the race much more fun.
Daniel was 3rd and 1st M40, Steve RJ top ten and 2nd M45, Geoff another solid run in M50, Kym 1st W30 (silver in W30 800m later). First female was Francesca, another great run from her and first W45 of course.
Watching on were Jane, Geoff and Kathy (who won W60 800m later that morning).
At last count (not including relays) five of our little group came here, we competed in ten events, we came away with ten medals, six of which were gold, two silver, two bronze. Not that you measure success by medals.
There were many friends here this weekend. From Old Scotch Scott 3rd M50 1500m, close 4th 800m. Rob M45 Gold 800m, 1500m as well as the 5000m I had a tow from. From ACTVAC I saw loads of racing and field events. I am sure the next newsletter will describe their exploits better than I.
That's it, I am on the way home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024