AMA Championships Day 4 : 8km Cross Country

The course a bit of everything...two laps of long grass, muddy trails, single track, bitumen, flat, steep ups and downs, loads of tight turns. Weather was foggy turning to bright sunshine and high humidity. A slow and technical course with something for everyone.

My virus seemed to turn for the better overnight with no need for medicine and the nose stopped running. All the muck however had gone to the chest. I tried a warm up, felt OK, coughed up a lot of muck and put on a positive head.

How the race was won: Jim Langford asked me pre-race who would win...I replied without hesitation Darren from NT, winner of 2013, 2014. Dennis Qld took off like a scalded cat, I led Darren into the single track and began chasing down Dennis. By the end of lap 1 we had Dennis under control. Darren crossed the gap to Dennis, took control and went on to win. I was 40 seconds slower on the second lap, missed some turns along the way, more coughing up muck and extended my lead on the 4th place interesting and beneficial duel between Shane Vic and David Tas. Belinda NSW made her way through the field to close in on most of the males, an easy win in the females again.

Of us: Steve RJ almost had a M45+ medal in his best run of the championships, a huge duel that came down to the final 200 metres, not so far off 2nd place. Helen traded blows with Stacey Vic and Ann Qld on the steep descents, ended the weekend with 4 bronze medals and a very confident run. Steve C had another great run, took bronze in M50+. Kathy W60 felt better than the day before, another bronze.

Of me: A consolidation week to get me to Australian Running Festival 10km. Knocking off the lurgy will help so not much in the way of sessions. I laid out the structure to Lyon World Masters Athletics some months ago. I expect to move the Stromlo type session to the track and on a Tuesday?. Saturday session with be 2000m intervals with short recovery as we did last autumn. The intensity will remain at 3:20/km so I may need to build up to it over some months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024