Stromlo HalfChat Fartlek : Great Train Race (Puffing Billy) : Age Standard XC

Only Jack, Helen and myself at Stromlo this afternoon for a fartlek session. Conditions and the track were perfect. Slightly jaded from yesterday and the cross country handicap but once I got going things were snappy. As usual we all regrouped on the recovery parts for half a chat. This session slipped into the program but accident or design I'm not sure. I am enjoying keeping the leg speed going while things are going well. The session is not taxing at all for me. Harder sessions will follow in May, June and July.

Next race (of sorts) in on Sunday. A trip to Melbourne for The Great Train Race (Puffing Billy) 13.5km. A mix of hills, surfaces and excitement. It's still on my bucket list despite doing it four times in the 90s. I'm in great form having recovered from my virus over Easter. Will be interesting to see how my race times stack up 26 years after first having run it. More on the race later in the week.

Back to yesterday and the ACT Masters XC Handicap (short or Frylink series). My main competition in the series is the delightful Gwen, aged 85+ and a good friend. I love to see her do well. We chat whenever we meet. Gwen regularly sets the age standard in the series. I've done my very best to lift to her level. I'll have to keep the intensity up if I have any chance of winning the series. She is very consistent. Images from the handicap. Myself on warm up and in the race. I ran the course three times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024