Australian Running Festival 10km Preview & Wash Up

Saturday morning at 7am...that makes it a super early start to the day and possibly very, very cold (I'll remember the gloves) and no wind. A course with loads of turns (including a dead turn at 6km), some long drags, some pinches to get over (just after 1km and between 5-7km), slight up to the 9th kilometre. Everyone will get a chance to see each other as the route retraces itself. I wouldn't call the race quick but it must be faster than Canberra Times Fun Run. Let's hope someone has measured it! (I would think so, no excuse really with that dead turn in the middle of nowhere).

Of me: I'll be running it flat out although I don't expect too much. Still very much with the remnants of the lurgy...anything under 35 minutes would be a bonus. I do have new racing shoes to wear so that will be a bonus. Last two days have been 80 minutes or 17-18 kilometres with lots of coughing up muck. I may run to work and back tmoz...also 17-18 kilometres total.





As predicted the virus too much to conquer today. Winning 3 males all ran 31min low, winning female Sophie just in front of me. My splits: 3:37, 3:13, 3:25, 3:26, 3:43, 3:33, 3:48, 3:40, 3:49, 3:33 = 35:50. Dale and Helen both broke 45 minutes. Course surprisingly slower than Canberra Times Fun Run. Don't know anyone who had a garmin on it. Very slow near the turn.

I had on óh oh' moment when I saw the 1km split, next 3km OK, working very hard but with good rhythm, like last week in the cross country when the chest and nose filled up with gunk my race was basically over. Stopped for a drink at 7km, threw away the car keys at 9km and had to retrieve...other than that flat out, that's all I had in me.

10km loosener this afternoon. Tmoz a long slow run to make up 120km for the week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024