Australian Masters Athletics Championships Darwin : 5000m M50-59 1st

12 hours after the 1500m and we were racing the 5000m in much worse conditions. Full sun, hot, wind gusting over 50kph+. It was a war of attrition out there today. We were racing with the M50 competitors as well.

The race: I led from start to finish and wasn't sure who was on my heels, later discovered it was Trevor. With a wall of wind in the home straight I soft pedaled and surged in the back straight with the gale at my back. It took 4-5 laps to shake Trevor. I settled into a solid pace and ran the windy straight much harder. As in the 10000m I visited the drink station almost every lap. I ran harder on the final lap and punched into the wind on the final lap finishing in 17:20, 40 seconds ahead of Trevor and some M50 runners. Jose was 3rd in M55 not far behind them.

It's cross country day tomorrow and I'll be up for that, ready to race the younger ages again.

I first raced Trevor Scott in Rip to River in circa 1991. Trevor won the race which was 100% beach from Point Lonsdale to Barwon Heads. Trevor won the race, I finished 6th. In between us was a young Lee Troop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024