Training Overview : Road to World Masters Athletics Championships Malaga 2018

Event program for World Masters Athletics Championships Malaga 2018 hasn't been released as yet. Depending on news of that I'll add in 10km road or Half Marathon to 8000m Cross Country, 1500m track and 5000m track. I'll aim for a two peak program with Australian Masters Athletics Championships in Perth, April 26-29 April 2018 and World Masters Athletics Championships Malaga September 5-16 2018.

As I've done since 2009 I'll use a series of base training, race preparation and racing blocks for each peak. I didn't invent the training structure and race tactics, coach of Hicham El Guerrouj did. It's available freely on the web and modified translation in this blog.

First training block will commence as of day after Australian Masters Athletics Championships and run through until late October 2017. Basically high volume (120km/week average), one major race per month with a 2-3 day taper and 2-3 long interval training sessions per week, mostly on soft surfaces that include hills.

2017 Races will be July: Gold Coast Half Marathon ; August: City2Surf 14km ; September: Canberra Times Fun Run 14km ; October: Burnie 10km Fun Run.

As has been every year since 2008 I'll escape to France for July soon to watch Tour de France cycling and run up some mountains on the route. My preferred plan for 2018 will be three months in Europe before World Masters Athletics Championships Malaga, beginning in late June, following Tour de France for the first week or two and then finding nice places to train and visit.

I'm also hoping I can get in sync with a couple of training partners to share the journey or part of it.

Lessons from this campaign since World Masters Athletics Championships Perth 2016. 1. I can't string together a series of peaks without losing form in the longer distances. I think most people know that. I wanted to develop my 1500m tactics and training and that was done. -- 2. 1500m and 5000m will work together if I get the balance of sessions right in the race preparation blocks. -- 3. If Cross Country is the first event in Malaga then that will be the key focus. Malaga cross country course has a power/strength hill each of 4 laps. I need more power to compete at World level in 1500m - going forward I'll incorporate those sessions again in a more consistent way, as I did in 2010 when I was running 1500m really well. -- 4. 1500m race tactics: What I've done in training and racing has worked for me. I'll break that down and work on those elements. It's exciting racing and fun when I get it right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024