World Masters Athletics Championships 2018 : 5000m Track M55 7th 16:50

Weather very humid and hot again, light wind in home straight. Quite a few new and fresh runners coming into the field as their pet event.

My recollection: The race started at a comfortable pace and probably stayed that way most of the race for the leading two who were favourites, Nat and Guy. Guy set the true race pace for most of the race. A Spanish runner tried to may a break on lap 2? Lap 3:Spanish,30m gap,Guy,Nat,Mike,Me,?. Soon after French runner Georges went after Spanish runner who was fading and slipped back. Pace of Guy and Nat lifted to around 3:18/km, same pace I was training at in Paris and right on my absolute limit here. Mike deliberately maintained 3:20/km, I crossed the gap and stayed relaxed behind Guy and Nat. Soon French runner was caught and pulled out. After around 6 laps I started to suffer, 7 laps I let go, Mike and three others passed me half a lap later. There was a gap behind me. I suffered to finish as race unfolded out in front. From what I saw Nat went with 2 laps to go. I didn't see much else except bodies. Results attached.

I had good legs today for the first time since the cross country. Next and last race for me is the 1500m heat and final if I make it. Should be fun running in the main stadium.

After the 5000m I caught the metro to the main stadium and cheered on my friends in the M65 5000m. It was a great evening of entertainment. Kathy, Pia and others also ran their 5000m races earlier in the day.

Comments

Ewen said…
Well done Bruce. You weren't far off the medals. Very competitive races! Kathy did well too, but under 21 is amazing, as is 18:36 for the M65 winner!
David said…
That result would have dissapointed you Bruce but having some perspective your build up to Malaga was very well considered and accomplished. You did the best you could and the conditions and competition were what they were. I hope you have fun in the 1500 and make it through to Sunday. Good luck.
Ta Ewen. Kathy is happy. Four events in four days is very taxing and she still is looking healthy with more events to come. The winner from M65 was a joy to watch. Cadence, technique and poise of a 20 year old. Amazing.
Ta David, I am content. Looking forward to the final race(s) here.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024