World Masters Athletics Championships 2018 : 1500m M55 Heat 2nd 4:34.62Q

At noon today 1500m M55 heats. Weather warm to hot, very humid, thunder on nearby hills, light winds.

There were 4 heats seeded. First 2 in each heat plus next fastest 8 qualified for final tomorrow morning.

In my heat there were 2 with quick seeded times, 1 other much the same as myself. Others very close or 800m runners with fast finish.

My plan has been unchanged for a couple of years. This is the first chance I've had to test it at this level. I mustn't work too hard in the first 300m. I must go to the front and make the pace as soon as I can after 300m and run as a 3 phase kickdown with each of the last 3 laps increasing in pace. I must run relaxed and save something for the final 100m.

Splits: 53,76,73,71. I moved into 2nd place with 800m to go which was my first opportunity to make a move from the bunch. Geoff Peat from Canada was 20 metres ahead. I closed the gap within a lap, we had a gap to the bunch which was spliting, we didn't race it to the line saving something for tomorrow. We were fastest 2 qualfiers of all four heats.

All plans go out the window tomorrow. There is plenty of talent in the field. Maybe we lost a few of the threats today. Most of the threats won't have been flat out today. It should be fun...much more fun than running a half marathon.


It was my fastest 1500m since 2013 and didn't hurt at all. Anything is possible tomorrow.

Comments

Ewen said…
Great result Bruce. Lots of competition there. All the best for the final.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024